Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Basic Muffin Recipe


This post is in part a response to a friends request for some healthy economical recipes. I will warn you now, if you are looking for a light and fluffy(lacking substance), sweet (full of sugar) muffin completely lacking in nutritional value, than this is not the recipe for you, keep looking. These are hearty muffins meant to stick with you and when paired with a little something extra make a perfect meal. They do taste good and I always make a double batch (24 muffins) that hardly ever makes it 2 days.

This recipe is just the bare bones, I always add more to it depending on what is available. The last batch I made I added peaches from the freezer chopped in the blender and some milled flax seed.Sometimes I add applesauce, berries, shredded zucchini... the possibilities are endless. Play with the recipe and make it yours, it's how I came up with it.
  • 1 Cup Whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup reg. flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 eggs, beaten before adding.
  1. Combine four, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix completely cups
  2. Add milk oil and eggs
  3. Add any special ingredients
  4. divide evenly into greased muffin cups
  5. Bake until just golden brown

I have not figured the cost of this. For me it's very economical when I make it with our fresh eggs and goat milk. Even if you have to buy the ingredients, making your own muffins, pancakes and the like is cheaper than a $3.00 box of cereal! Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment