Friday, March 6, 2009

Homemade Goat Milk Yogurt and Drinkable Yogurt

Today we made yogurt. There are many recipes out there for yogurt. I read many and combined a couple to come up with this simple procedure. First off it is very important that all your utensils and containers are cleaned and sanitized. I believe this will greatly affect the outcome of your yogurt.



  • Heat 1/2 gallon of fresh goat milk to 185-195 degrees

  • Cool to 122 degrees or just below

  • add 1/2 cup live culture yogurt (I used Dannon Plain Yogurt) and stir thoroughly

  • Place in a bowl and keep at 110 degrees for 4-5 hours. I covered my bowl with a plate and wrapped it in a towel. Then I placed it in the oven with the light on. Every once in a while I would turn the oven on to bring the temp up to 110 degrees again. Some people use a thermos or place bowl in a crock pot on low. I haven't tried either of these methods.

  • Save out 1/2 cup for next batch. Store in fridge. If you don't like plain yogurt, now is when you could add vanilla and sweetener or other flavoring.


This is "Drinkable Yogurt" and apple bread for Breakfast. Drinkable yogurt is popular with the kids now but can be on the expensive side. All I did was take plain yogurt, add a little vanilla, sweetener and 100% fruit juice until it was the right consistency. Viola! "Drinkable Yogurt" with less sugar and more affordable.

2 comments:

  1. You seriously amaze me with all the stuff you do! I feel like I'm still getting used to having to drive to "town" and you're out there birthing goats and making yogurt. You are so cool! I must be on the remedial path to living in the country. ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, I just found your blog. Look forward to reading more!

    I just moved from the city to the country and we're trying to live a more simple life, so I really love blogs such as yours.

    ReplyDelete